Friday, January 2, 2015

Shut Em Down Authentic Southern Restaurant


It's not often I talk about good food here. I'm not a food critic. I'm not a professional writer. I don't get any perks and pay for my remarks about places. I feel however that when I eat something that is truly out of this world, I need to tell everyone I can about it. 

I was recently scrolling through my Instagram feed one night while laying in bed. I follow a user called Jaxrestaurantreviews. They posted a photo of the curry chicken (pictured above) with macaroni and cheese and string beans. I saw it was located on a road that I travel every day to and from work. I stoped in the very next day to try it out. I ordered the friend chicken lunch with two sides, mac and cheese and string beans. The fried chicken is fried by the order so there was none of that pre-fried, sitting under a light garbage. Once the order was up I took mine and my bosses orders to work so we could have lunch. I sat down and opened up the tray and the aroma was just simply delectable. Over my order was a sheet of tin foil with a square piece of corn bread. I moved it aside to save for last. I quickly dove into the macaroni and cheese. Amazed by the flavor I jumped to the string beans. Perfectly seasoned and cooked. I was in heaven! I placed my fork down and picked up a piece of the fried chicken. I took one bite and I let out one of those gratifying "Mmmms" You know, the one where you close your eyes and just smile. The chicken was so moist and juicy. Not greasy, but juicy! The flavor was simply wonderful. This was comfort food / southern food done exquisitely well. After I finished my meal I took a small bite of corn bread. I was already quite full, and I'm usually not a big fan of corn bread. Don't get me wrong, it's good, just not something I'm like "Oh damn, I need some corn bread." One bite and I was hooked. This wasn't corn bread I was used to eating. No, it was more like cake. A sweet, corn bread/cake mash up. So moist and delicious with that classic corn bread flavor. I will definitely be purchasing trays of this stuff for get togethers and social events. This stuff is great and everyone needs it in their life at least once.

The next day I took my daughter and her friend roller skating. After skating for a few hours they built up quite the appetite. So being near by I chose for us to eat there. I knew the kids would love the fried chicken and macaroni and cheese and I wanted to try something else off the menu. This time I chose the meatloaf with gravy with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy and a dish I've never been a fan of, collard greens. We sat down and got our food. The kids of course dove right in and started tearing it up. I started with my potatoes first. They had a great consistency and the gravy had great flavor. I then began on my meatloaf and man, I don't remember ever having meatloaf that tasted this good. It was cooked perfectly with just a slight pink center. The same gravy on the potatoes was used on top of the meatloaf and paired quite nicely. Saving my dreaded collard greens for last I cleaned my plate and set the bowl in front of me. I slapped on some Louisiana Hot Sauce for just in case purposes. I took a deep breath and dove in. This didn't taste like any collard greens I had ever had before. No, these were good. No, they were great. No, these are the best damn collard greens I've EVER had. EVER! Hands down, no buts about it, I LOVE THEIR COLLARD GREENS! You hear that world! Shut Em Down has the BEST DAMN COLLARD GREENS EVER! Fully satisfied, my daughter wrapped her corn bread up to take to Daddy and we headed home.

Three days later, today, I had the idea of picking up some food from here on the way home since my husband still had not been able to try the place out. I have my boss raving about it, one of my best friends raving about it, my child raving about it, and of course I've talked about the place non-stop and it was driving him crazy, especially after he got a taste of that awesome corn bread. This time I ordered the curry chicken with macaroni and cheese and of course my collard greens, I had to. I don't know how I'll ever not order them ever again. My husband and daughter both ordered the smothered pork chops with mac and cheese and my hubby also got black eyed peas. The curry chicken did not disappoint! Again the chicken was juicy and tender in each and every bite. Not one piece had a dry flavor to it. Layered over a bed of white rice for all the juicy goodness to sop up. It was exactly what I needed for after work. My husband adored his pork chop, which also came on a bed of white rice and he gobbled it up before I was even finished with mine. He asked me "Do they put crack in their food? This stuff is so great." 

To top it off the prices are affordable and fair so you'll really get your moneys worth here. I can't imagine myself stopping anywhere else on the way to work for lunch ever again. I plan on eating everything on the menu at least once (aside from the fish because I don't like fish at all). I'm really looking forward to trying the oxtails. Another added bonus the owners are super nice and friendly and deserve whatever success this endeavor brings them. No I do not know them personally, but you can tell a lot of heart, love, and hard work goes into this food and that comes out in the quality of the products they serve. I'm sure them and I will have a great relationship together as I stop there for lunch or dinner on a regular basis. Even my good friend who I told about the place has been there twice within a three day period. If you're in the area of Orange Park, Florida or in the Argyle neighborhood of Jacksonville and you're looking for some good home cooked food and a pocket friendly price please visit these guys. You're stomach nor your wallet will regret it. Again I'm not a food critic, I'm just someone who knows when to give props when they are due. 

Shut 'Em Down Authentic Southern Restaurant on Urbanspoon
They are squeezed in between a Chiropractors office and a pizza joint. If you don't look closely you'll pass right by them, and surely you don't want that to happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment